Scrambling with time running out and figuratively running around trying to grab all four cheeks at the same time, the Arizona Legislative brain-trust behind SB 1070, passed HB 2162 at the 11th hour before the current session ended. HB 2162 is a so-called trailer bill and the legislature’s answer to criticisms of the anti-illegal immigrant law known as SB 1070.
Arizona Governor Jan Brewer had been ‘worried’ about the racial profiling allegations made by critics of the bill. So on signing the amendment, she said it will “make crystal clear and undeniable that racial profiling is illegal.”
More worrisome is whether or not the additional language concerning the enforcement of “any other law or ordinance” doesn’t mean a further expansion of the law. See Arizona Capitol Times »Last-minute changes. One legislator believes so. Rep. Krysten Sinema, a Phoenix Democrat, believes it overreaches, saying, “Now, someone can just call the police on their neighbor for a barking dog, or overgrown lawn, and the police can show up and check their immigration status.”
According to the latest statistics from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), the country of origin for the largest number of illegal immigrants is Mexico.
|Country of origin||Raw number||Percent of total||Percent change 2000 to 2005|
Make no mistake about the national and ethnic identity of the illegal immigrants targeted by the state anti-illegal immigrant law. They’re not the ones from Saskatchewan across the Montana border. No, they’re the ones from south of the Arizona border, principally from Mexico. And they’re readily identifiable because of their certain ethnic characteristics and their common language.
According to the census, Hispanics represent approximately 30 percent of the population in Arizona. See Arizona QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau.Because of this, the odds are good that the other 70 percent in Arizona, the ones who look more like from Saskatchewan than from Sonora, needn’t ever worry about violations of their individual sanctity or of intrusions on their Fourth Amendment individual rights.
The easiest pain to bear is somebody else’s. So if you’re not a member of a racial or ethnic minority, you don’t have to be concerned about racial profiling. It’s no accident, then, that the ones complaining the loudest about Arizona’s new law are the Hispanic-looking ones. Or as Fitzimmons writes in his column, “Brewer said she doesn’t like the term “racial profiling,” preferring the term “Caucasian free pass.”